Unit FOUR: Readers Have Big jobs to Do: Fluency, Phonics, and Comprehension
• How do readers obtain meaning from text?
• How do partners help each other with their reading?
• How do readers envision what they read?
• How do readers solve words they do
Key Student Learning Objective
• Readers will practice using strategies they know to figure out hard parts.
• Readers will learn to notice when their reading doesn’t make sense, or sound right, and then fix up those parts so they sound better.
• Readers will help each other fix up and understand hard parts of books.
• Readers will learn to pick out interesting parts to share with their partners.
Sequence of Key Learning Activites
Bend I: Readers Have Important Jobs to Do
• Partners coach for strategies
Bend II: Readers Add New Tools to Read Hard Words
• Reading for meaning
• Anticipating what comes next
• Using analogies
• Breaking words apart to solve
• Sight words
Bend III: Readers Use Tools to Understand Their Books
• Making a movie in your mind
• Using clues to comprehend
Bend IV: Readers Use Everything They Know to Get the Job Done